When considering a home or condo for sale in Philadelphia, one of the most important considerations must be where are you going to eat breakfast!! Here’s my list of Ten Places in different neighborhoods.
1. Honey’s at 4th and Brown. Northern Liberties – Yep its over priced and people wait in line on weekends. Side note – I don’t wait in line for restaurants just can’t do it. Cash only which is annoying. BUT!!!!! The food is just great. Very fresh – consistently good service and a very hip atmosphere.
2. Sabrina’s – 9th and Christian. Bella Vista. – Again really good food – fresh and wonderful. If you live near one of these its just as good as Honeys.
3. Morning Glory at 10th and Fitzwater. Bella Vista as well – Also cash only. What does it take to get a Credit Card Machine??!?!?! Good food. I find the set up cramped at best. The service is sort of snooty but ok – the food is good and I like the metal cups PLUS weird side note – they make their own ketchup and its awesome like nothing you have ever had.
4. Green Eggs – two locations South Philly and now Northern Liberties. I have to admit I haven’t been there but Marj has and that’s good enough for me. Cash ONLY and crowded at peak times but really good according to my wife.
5. Darlings Diner at the Piazza – Northern Liberties. Frankly their breakfast food can be a little ordinary BUT its easy to park in the Piazza lot, its a nice setting with outdoor seating in the summer and they take credit cards! Also they have a kids menu which is nice if you have kids – like me.
6. Cafe Lift – In 428 N. 13th St. In the heart of the Loft District is a great little cafe. Limited hours but good food and a nice atmosphere.
7. Cafe Estelle – Northern Liberties. 4th Street between Spring Garden and Callowhill in the Orens Brothers/ Miles and Generalis Development known as 444 Lofts. Similar in many ways to Cafe Lift but better hours, more selection and a nice atmosphere. They have some odd service ideas but it actually works.
8. Little Pete’s – Rittenhouse Sq – 17th St between Walnut and Locust. OLD SCHOOL!!!! Nothing organic there – Cash only! Counter Diner seating. Basic food at a decent price. If you’re lucky one of the waitresses will call you “hon.”
9. Silk City (Posthumous) Northern Liberties. The best ever diner ever that there ever was! Ever. Now replaced with something that isn’t a breakfast place. My daughter still remembers when I would take her there after preschool. She would sit at the counter and get a milkshake. Breakfast was amazing and you always knew someone there.. Sigh…..
10. Diner on the Square (Posthumous) Rittenhouse Sq 19th and Spruce. We’re going waaayy back now. You’re showing your age if you remember this 1980s and 90s classic. Diner on the Square was the the best all night diner in the city. Yes we had choices back then at 3 am. Those were the days and Diner on the Square was the place.
I know there are more but these are my favorites. When you’re getting ready to buy a home or condo in Philadelphia check out these places first.